AUSTIN • HOUSTON
T. Alan Harris spent a number of years with large law firms in Houston before forming Harris Law Firm PC in 2008. Now with over 28 years’ experience, Alan has had a particular focus on regulatory and corporate matters for banks and other financial institutions and their investors. He also assists clients in other sectors - including manufacturing, technology, energy, real estate, medical, hospitality, agribusiness, construction, retail, and e-commerce - with corporate transactions, capital raising, contracts, and regulatory compliance.
Alan’s financial institution clients range from small community banks to regional institutions to multinational conglomerates. Matters on which he frequently helps his clients include:
• Formations, reorganizations, capital raising, and mergers and acquisitions for financial institutions and other corporate entities.
• Offerings of equity and debt securities for financial institutions and other corporate clients.
• Structuring and regulatory issues relating to private equity investments in banks and other businesses.
• Change in Bank Control Act and Bank Holding Company Act “control” and compliance issues.
• Regulatory examination and enforcement issues and reporting requirements.
• Bank lending limits and transactions involving insiders and affiliates.
• GLBA, HIPAA, and other privacy laws compliance.
• USA PATRIOT Act and OFAC compliance.
• Marketing of insurance and securities to bank customers.
• Cross-border business activities for banks and other corporate clients, and U.S. regulation of foreign banks.
• Preparation of agreements for bank treasury management services, including ACH, funds transfer, and remote deposit capture.
• Preparation and negotiation of contracts with counterparties, customers and vendors for financial institutions and other corporate clients.
• Formation and regulation of specialty financial institutions such as trust companies, insurance agencies, title companies, and money services businesses. (Alan formed the first wholesale savings association and the first "family" trust company under modern Texas law).
Alan and his wife Carrie have three children and live in Austin, Texas.
“Despots, Deposits and Diligence: Brushing Up on International Compliance,” presented to Texas Bankers Association 38th Annual Legal Conference (March 2012).
“Capital is King: Options for Getting More,” presented to Texas Bankers Association 37th Annual Legal Conference (March 2011).
“Untangling the New Rules for Affiliate Marketing,” ABA Bank Marketing (April 2008).
“Tips for a Winning Sweepstakes Promotion,” Bank Regulatory Perspectives (September 2007).
“Con artists broaden horizons with e-mail scams beyond '419',” Houston Business Journal (August 3, 2007).
"Financial Services in Mexico - Profiting from NAFTA Benefits," How to Profit Under NAFTA, Business & Legal Reports (1995).
T. Alan Harris
J.D., Vanderbilt University Law School, 1990. Executive Articles Editor, Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law.
B.A., cum laude, Rhodes College, 1987. Phi Beta Kappa; Mortar Board Society; Omicron Delta Kappa.
Peer Review Rating
Rated AV Preeminent (the highest available) by Martindale-Hubbell.
Harris Law Firm PC
Shareholder, 2008 - present.
Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP
(now Eversheds Sutherland)
Locke Liddell & Sapp LLP
(now Locke Lord LLP)
Alan counsels clients on corporate structuring and governance, mergers and acquisitions, capital raising, new product offerings, contract matters, and numerous regulatory and compliance issues affecting their daily operations. Recently, Alan also has developed a niche practice representing whistleblowers making claims under the Texas Medicaid Fraud Prevention Act, the federal False Claims Act, the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act of 2009, and other laws.